There was drama in Abuja as Nigerian soldiers reportedly prevented the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, from accessing a disputed parcel of land — days after the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) sanctioned several high-profile Nigerians over land-use violations.
In a viral video on Tuesday, Wike, the former governor of Rivers State, was seen in a heated exchange with security operatives at the site.
“You send soldiers to intimidate who? We are all from this country. If not for the CDS who spoke to me now, you would have to kill everybody here. I’m not one of those that you can intimidate,” Wike said angrily.
The ownership of the land remains unclear. The confrontation came shortly after the FCTA fined several prominent Nigerians ₦5 million each for converting residential buildings to commercial use without approval.
Those affected by the directive include Abdullahi Ganduje, former APC national chairman; Olagunsoye Oyinlola, former Osun State governor; Aloma Mariam Mukhtar, former Chief Justice of Nigeria; and the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited.
In a public notice issued on September 8, 2025, the FCTA gave affected property owners 30 days to regularise their titles. The directive covered prime districts such as Maitama, Asokoro, Wuse II, and Garki.
The notice read partly: “All affected allottees or holders of properties who, without approval, converted the land use of their properties are hereby given thirty (30) days to pay a penalty/violation fee of five million naira (₦5,000,000.00).”
It added that compliant property owners would receive new title documents valid for 99 years.
In the viral video, Wike confronted a military officer who claimed those at the site possessed valid documents.
“I’m a minister — you can’t tell me you have a document! We can’t continue to live in a country where everyone hides behind immunity. Where’s your approval? We can’t go on like this,” Wike said.
He continued, “You sent soldiers to intimidate who? We are the hope of this country and this government. You can’t be higher than the government. You can’t carry guns and intimidate people. If not for the Chief of Defence Staff who spoke to me, you could have killed everyone here. I’m not one of those you can intimidate.”
The naval officer denied any intimidation, saying, “On the contrary, sir, we are not intimidating anyone. It was the engineer who mobilised workers to the site, along with FCTDA staff, who came to threaten them in defiance of an order.”
Tensions rose as the officer insisted that the documents were complete, prompting Wike to demand proof.
“Are you the one to say the papers are complete? Show me that the government gave you this place. Show me your approval to build here. This has nothing to do with being a vice admiral or lieutenant general. We must all work according to the law,” Wike said.
The confrontation nearly turned physical when the officer pointed at a Federal Capital Territory Development Authority (FCTDA) director as the recipient of the documents — a claim the official denied. Amid the confusion, Wike was briefly pushed aside before calm was restored.
When order returned, Wike angrily called the officer “a fool,” to which the officer replied, “I am not a fool. I am an officer, and I’m only obeying orders.”
Visibly upset, Wike shot back, “Shut up! When I was in school, by the time I graduated, you were not even in primary school. You’re a big fool.” The officer stood firm, replying, “I am not a fool, I am an officer, and I won’t shut up.”
The disputed property is believed to be among those marked by the FCTA for violating land-use regulations. The minister had earlier given property owners 30 days to regularise their titles or pay penalties for illegally converting residential buildings to commercial use.